Wednesday, May 15, 2013

still-sound 168. Blue whale




I went to the Blue Whale last night, a jazz club in Little Tokyo.  I've been meaning to go for a while.  Ever since my neighbor Tom, a cool drummer and overall expert in all things jazz, told me about it.  I watched an incredibly talented pianist, David Arnay play.  He started the set alone on stage.  Each successive song introduced a new musician into the line-up.  The eighth song had eight musicians raising the roof on the club.

My favorite songs of the night were an interpretation of a Bill Evans tune and one composed by Arnay titled Daddy's Groove.

I'm already a great jazz lover.  Last night convinced me even more that it's one of the great American arts.  The club should have been very smoky though.  I'm not a smoker but for the preservation of American culture I think that smoking laws should be relaxed in certain instances.

No comments:

Post a Comment