Saturday, April 6, 2013

still-sound 160. Crown



Anyone with a Korean parent or two will know what this is. It's a replica of a Silla Dynasty gold crown.  They appear in many Korean households -- along with black lacquer vases with mother of pearl designs.  Usually of birds and trees.  

A while ago I noticed that my mother had two replica Silla crowns in her house.  One sat in a display case with several of the glass panels cracked.  My mother held the shards together with tape.  I told her that I would take it back with me to Los Angeles and repair the glass.  It's held court in the dark corner of my living room for two or three years now.  The thought of measuring the display case for new panels seemed like an insurmountable task.

But I finally did it!  Last week, on the day when I was getting stuff done, like cleaning every surface of my home with vinegar and water.  I jotted down the dimensions on a little pad of paper that has a drawing of a pug on the cover.  I ordered three panels at the glass store in Silverlake and picked them up the same day.  The project cost me $13.  The bargain of the century.

The new and improved display case looks beautiful and makes my living room look like a Korean history museum.  I should charge myself admission when I come home from work.  I may bring the crown back to my mother's house the next time I visit her but I may not.  I like it too much now and seriously doubt she misses it.


No comments:

Post a Comment