Thursday, November 15, 2012

still-sound 124. Recorder music



I have an inexplicable fondness for music played on the recorder.  I'm not suggesting that my Asian background led to a predilection for this particular sound, but face it, when I look up videos of recorder music on youtube, all the performances seem to be in Taiwan, Japan and Korea.

This performance of John Dowland's work by The Royal Wind Music is particularly magical. I am filled with an overwhelming sense of calm while listening.  The instruments' voices are hollow and pure.  I love how the bass recorders are even taller than the musicians, the largest of which appears to be nearly double the height of the player.  While watching the video I couldn't help but imagine this musican's lovelife...meeting a prospective lover in a bar only to take him home to have him ask nervously, "So, what do you do for a living?".  She  would have no choice but to respond with "I play THIS", pointing to a twelve foot instrument





On Sunday I went to Amoeba and purchased several records.  After several listens I decided that my best find was, in fact, Bach fur Blochflote; compositions for recorder and harpsichord.  Baroque perfection.  My comprehension of German is limited at best, but I even I could appreciate the little play on words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment