Monday, December 26, 2011

still-sound 27. Winter


This is the message Maya (played by Virginia Madsen) leaves for Miles (played by Paul Giamatti) after he deceived her (despite his great fondness for her) in the film Sideways:

Hello Miles.  It's Maya.  Thanks for your letter.  I would have called sooner but I think I needed some time to think about everything that happened and what you wrote to me.

Another reason I didn't call you sooner is because I wanted to finish your book, which I finally did last night, and I think it's really lovely Miles.

You're so good with words.  Who cares if it's not getting published?  There're so many beautiful and painful things about it.  Did you really go through all that?  It must have been awful.  And that sister character - Jeez - what a wreck!

But I had to say that, well, I was really confused by the ending.  I mean, did the father finally commit suicide or what?  It's driving me crazy.

Anyway, it's turned cold and rainy here lately, but I like winter.

So listen, if you ever decide to come back up here again, you should let me know.  I would say stop by the restaurant but to tell you the truth, I'm not sure how much longer I'm gonna be working there because I'm gonna graduate soon!  So I'll probably wanna relocate.  We will see...

Anyway, like I said, I really loved your novel.  Don't give up Miles.  Keep writing.

Hope you're well.  Bye

2 comments:

  1. you are wonderful. i love your blog so much. it's tender, brilliant and honest...just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your sweet comment Ellie! I'm so flattered to receive such praise from such a talented writer as yourself,

    ReplyDelete