Friday, November 11, 2011

still-sound 16. Akari


Today is 11.11.11.  The other day in the ceramics studio two fellow potters talked about various upcoming events to celebrate this alignment of ones.  They're both yoga instructors.  One mentioned a place near Joshua Tree - a perfectly-domed structure with incredible acoustics which will host a crystal bowl event today.  Attendees can sprawl out on the floor and bathe in the clear vibrations emanating from the crystal bowls.  Last year I was a little obsessed with this idea.  I regularly looked up 'bowl meditation' on youtube and tried to participate in the experiences from home. 

I made this vase a few months ago.  I dipped the greenware in black slip three times and created a tulip pattern.  I left it unglazed except for the inside  The pattern created by dipping reminded me of some of Isamu Noguchi's Akari lights.  I have a plain white lamp at home and placed the vase next to it for a while.  I liked the way they spoke with each other.  I eventually gave the tulip vase to my friend Adam.

No comments:

Post a Comment